*LIVING IN COLOMBIA* If you saw my last post, then you already heard the news... I’m living in Colombia!!! On June 1st, I grabbed my giant ass suitcase and hopped on a plane bound for Cartagena—a city with a unique history, a beautifully preserved historical city center, great beaches, and so much more. Besides absolutely loving this city when I visited last November, I was also in need of a change, so this place seemed like the perfect city to retreat to. After nearly a month in town, here’s a brief rundown of what I’m feeling. 🇨🇴 WHAT I LOVE:
1. I can walk from my apartment to the beach in five minutes.
2. The city center (seen here) really is gorgeous with its colorful colonial style buildings and perfectly preserved fortified walls surrounding it.
3. The bakery down the street from me smells like heaven and their bread is even better 🤤 😋 🥖
4. Colombian soccer jerseys are super cute and the national team is doing well so far in the Copa America tournament!
5. Living here is the first time in my life that being black doesn’t make me a minority, and there’s something really liberating about that.
🇨🇴 WHAT I DON’T LOVE:
1. I definitely prefer the heat over the cold, but it is soooo hot here, and I sweat easily, so it’s not a very pretty combo sometimes.
2. The mosquitoes are out to get me this summer and my legs look I’m recovering from chicken pox.
3. The streets in my neighborhood don’t have signs, so it’s been tough figuring out how to navigate the area. The people here just know the street names by heart, but I’m still learning.
4. My family and friends aren’t here, but they better come visit! 🇨🇴 For now, my plan is to stay in Cartagena until the end of July, and then it’s off to Europe for two months! I’ll be back here after my European escapades, though, and as I spend more time in Colombia, I’m sure I’ll find more things I love and other things not so much, but that’s the nature of every place you go. Nothing is perfect. 🇨🇴 What do you love/hate about the town or city where you live?!