I have to admit, when I first received the #SuuntoD5 I was skeptical. I am so attached to the Suunto D6’s that I’ve been using for 10 years now - I didn’t think anything could ever do a better job. And there was so much happening on the fancy display of the D5, with an entire new operating system to learn...
Then I started diving with it, and it was like an Easter egg hunt, with daily discoveries about the innovations made in this new gauge! Here are just a few that really make a difference in freediving:
1. The depth alarms have vibration alerts as well as beeps, so if you don’t notice one then the other will get you!
2. The timer (stopwatch) can be used while in dive mode. This is huge: for one thing when safetying you can now keep track of a diver’s dive time as well as your own depth and dive time.
3. The colour display means you can read all the important info in darkness, without having to press a button for light
4. Bluetooth connectivity with your computer! No more fiddling with sensitive cable connections
5. Straps that can be swapped or removed in seconds (great for those who wear their gauge in their hood).
6. A rechargeable battery, so no more sending your gauge away for battery replacements
7. My personal favourite! The strap keepers have these little bobbles that stop them from moving up and down, so the tail of the strap can never break free and flap awkwardly underwater during a dive! Ah Suunto, always paying attention to the details!
Combine all this with Suunto’s unparalleled reliability and accuracy and you have the new standard for freediving depth gauges. Do you have a D5, and have you found any other Easter eggs that enhance your freediving? Let me know in the comments!
#depthgauge #Suunto #SuuntoDive #freedivinggear #depth #divecomputer #freedivecomputer