Frederick and Louise Vanderbilt bought this 600-acre estate in 1895 and on it, built this 54-room Beaux-Arts style mansion. Being located adjacent to the railroad that they owned, the house was used mostly as a vacation home. In 1938, Frederick Vanderbilt died and the estate passed to his niece, Margaret "Daisy" Van Alen. Van Alen, under the encouragement of Franklin Roosevelt, donated the mansion and much of the estate to the National Park Service in 1940. Since then, this Gilded Age mansion and its scenic grounds have remained one of Dutchess County’s most popular tourist attractions.