Highlights from our Neighborhood Stories: India Street Tour. Mondays at 10 and 11 am. Link in bio to sign up.
1) 2 of our tour guides who go by “the preacher and the teacher”
2) the famous Italian market @micuccigrocery which is in part of a building that was once a private home, sailors house, and a hotel.
3) @duckfat @eastender47 and ribolita are serving beer in a building built by Irish brewers after the great fire of 1866. This was during the Maine Law, a precursor to national prohibitions where they could brew it but couldn’t sell it in the state.
4) The Shaarey Tphiloh Synagogue was once the hub of The Jewish neighborhood on Newbury street where Yiddish was the most common heard language on the street
5) one of the many bricks telling the stories of Portland’s people from the @portlandbrick project by @ayumihorie
6) Once the @bowdoincollege medical school and donated to Portland as long as it always served the public. Now home to Milestone Recovery.
7) The tour ends with a look inside the 3rd Oldest African-American meeting house in the country. More in another post. #thisplacematters #portlandmaine #history #historicpreservation #volunteers #blackhistory #indiastreet