Hey everyone! 💛 We are halfway through the week!🐪 Here are 6 tips on talking to teens about stress. Everyone is different so what may work for someone may not work for you. Do what helps you and your family. All families are unique.✨
1. Recognize the symptoms: irritability, anger, excessive worry, insomnia, trouble sleeping, overeating, eating very little are common signs of stress in youth.
2. Communicate: have an open conversation with your teen. A one-on-one undivided attention at least once a week. Have shared decision making. Share any positive thoughts or feelings you are feeling and let your teen know what you value about his or her perspective.
3. Teach healthy coping mechanisms: team sports, yoga, hiking, biking, dancing, walking, swimming. Encourage enough sleep by limiting screen time & stimulating activities in the evenings. Talk about setting goals and steps to achieve them. Brainstorm solutions together or hear their ideas.
4. Create rituals: Allow your teen to destress in seasonal events(4th of july picnic) , weekly (Thursday movie night), daily (family dinner). These events also allow you to check in.
5. Model healthy behaviors: do your best to: eat healthy foods, physical activity, sleep well, take steps to get your own stress under control.
6. Seek professional help
Credits to the American Psychological Association ✨
May the rest of your week be great! Take care💛
#teens #stress #selfcare #tips #growth #development #family #singlemom #singledad #mentalhealth #health #healthy #communication #copingskills #copingmechanism #goals #physicalactivity #therapy #thedailypsyche